You need to log in to create posts and topics.

The Johnsons, Fay Puckett and Pat Hall

Fay Puckett was the grown daughter of Mr and Mrs AC Johnson, owners of the boarding house at 1026 N Beckley, Oak Cliff.

According to Fay's daughter, Pat Hall (who currently owns the premises and runs it as a museum). Fay owned and operated a photographic studio opposite the Texas Theatre and was one of many shop-keepers who witnessed Oswald being led to the police car under arrest. Pat also claims that Fay recognized the person as one of her parents boarders and phoned them to let them know. Note that the story claims that her mother thought the arrest was over the Tippit murder - but that was only the claim made by the police much later. At the time, police were saying that the crowd were screaming about the assassination - not Tippit and even one of the civilian witnesses claims to have a cop ye; at Oswald, "Shoot the president will you!"

At the time of the assassination, the Johnsons were at a cafe that they also owned and operated. Neither stated in testimony that they received such a call from their daughter at the cafe. They did however state that they got a call from a friend who was a police officer for a railroad company. They said that this friend rang to tell them of the assassination.

For some reason, this news caused them to rush home. Why? The assassination itself was unlikely to be the reason. But what if Fay had phoned the police officer family friend for advice considering she believed the person under arrest for the assassination lived with her parents?

I think it is reasonable that if he in turn phoned the Johnsons about their boarder being suspect in the assasination, they would indeed skaddadle home.

It is however, my belief that Fay Puckett was mistaking Oswald for Herbert Lee, a young thin white male of around Oswald's age, who had arrived from Louisiana around the same time as Oswald - and that Oswald himself, had never lived at that address.

This scenario would also explain hpw the DPD got the address so quickly, since it was most definitely not obtained from Oswald himself. The railroad cop would have not just phoned the Johnsons, but also the DPD. Whoever he spoke to, then passed the address on to Fritz - thus Fritz was most likely telling the truth when he testified that he got the address of an officer whose name he could not recall - it was just some grunt manning the phones.

-------------

Mr. BELIN. Where were you when you heard that the President had died?
Mr. JOHNSON. 1029 Young Street.
Mr. BELIN. And is that a business?
Mr. JOHNSON. We have a little restaurant there.
Mr. BELIN. You and your wife have a restaurant there?
Mr. JOHNSON. Yes.
Mr. BELIN. Was your wife there, too?
Mr. JOHNSON. Yes; we work together.
Mr. BELIN. And did you hear this on the radio?
Mr. JOHNSON. No. Uh--we have a friend that is a policeman, works for Cotton Belt Railroad. And he called us--called up here and told us. Of course, we had heard all the sirens and everything, you know, going, and we couldn't imagine what it was. And Nicholson called us and told us that he had heard it over the radio.
Mr. BELIN. He had heard over the radio that the President had been shot?
Mr. JOHNSON. Yes.
Mr. BELIN. And then, did you turn on your radio?
Mr. JOHNSON. Yes. We don't have one there in the place, so we went out in the car and sat there in the car and listened.
Mr. BELIN. All right. And was it while you were sitting in the car that you heard that the President had died?
Mr. JOHNSON. Yes; we didn't leave until we--it was announced that he was dead.
Mr. BELIN. How soon after that announcement did you leave?
Mr. JOHNSON. I'd say 5 minutes.
Mr. BELIN. All right. Then, how long did it take you to get to 1026 North Beckley?
Mr. JOHNSON. It takes us about 5 minutes.
Mr. BELIN. So that about 10 minutes after you heard on the radio that the President had been shot, you arrived with your wife at 1026 North Beckley?
Mr. JOHNSON. That's right.

The claim that Nicholson (the railroad cop) had heard the news about the assassination on the radio is superfluous. Why would he hear it on the radio and call the Johnsons in particular? In particular, he would if he heard the news from their daughter and this call included that a guest of theirs was under arrest for it.

And upon hearing the news, the Johnsons confirm it all from radio reports and make a beeline home to await the arrival of the Dallas police.

@ed-ledoux has identified the railroad cop named as Nicholson by AC Johnson as most likely being Dallas Police Reserve Lt Mike Nicholson. Reserve officers usually had other employment and working as a railroad cop seems logical.*

Nicholson was named in testimony by other offers as being present in the basement at the time Oswald was murdered.

It is more than possible he was also on duty on the day of the assassination as the motorcade would virtually demand all hands on deck.

In the event that Mike Nicholson was the cop who phoned the Johnsons, he probably did not need to phone the Dallas Police - at least not if he was on duty with them that day. He could have just found Fritz and passed on the information about the address himself.

This fits with Fritz's own explanation as to where the address came from.

Mr. FRITZ. When I started to talk to this prisoner or maybe just before I started to talk to him, some officer told me outside of my office that he had a room on Beckley, I don't know who that officer was, I think we can find out, I have since I have talked to you this morning I have talked to Lieutenant Baker and he says I know maybe who that officer was, but I am not sure yet.
Mr. BALL. Some officer told you that he thought this man had a room on Beckley?
Mr. FRITZ. Yes, sir.

*For those outside the US, it is not uncommon for private corporations running essential services such railroads and ports, to have the own private police forces.  Thus if Nicholson was employed as a railroad cop, it was not part of his work with the Dallas Police Reserves.